Any secondary school student (grade 12) in Northern California may be nominated or apply for the awards. Criteria for eligibility:
- One who identifies as a Jew, or who acknowledges their Jewish heritage, or wants to reconnect with their Jewish ancestral identity. Non-Jewish students are eligible to apply for the Dennis Brown Mensch Award.
Please send nominations or applications (no more than 150 words) stating why this student is worthy of recognition. Students may nominate themselves or other worthy students.
Please include the following along with the nomination:
- A letter from the student who is applying (not to exceed 150 words)
- A letter from a person who is familiar with the student applicant (not to exceed 150 words)
- A list of athletic participation signed by a coach or counselor
- Transcript of grades [up to date of application or nomination] (must include verification stamp)
- A complete list of community service and extracurricular activities
- Additional letters of recommendation (not to exceed three) from administrators, counselors, teachers, coaches, clergy, parents, etc.
The Mensch Scholarship is awarded to a student, not of the Jewish faith, with an outstanding academic, athletic and community service record who epitomizes the Jewish concept of ‘Tikkun Olam’, repairing the world through generosity and charitable service to the community at large.
Learn about the different scholarships here.
The final date to submit scholarship applications is September 8, 2023.
Applications must be emailed to the Scholarship Committee of the Northern California Jewish Sports Hall of Fame at email@example.com.